root compilation

Hello,

I've made the same mistake as Guenther... Compiled garnome as root. I
then
edited /etc/gdm/Sessions/Gnome and added the following from the readme:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/root/garnome/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
GDK_USE_XFT=1
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH GDK_USE_XFT=1

gnomesession="/root/garnome/bin/gnome-session --purge-delay=15000"

Previously, without these lines, gnome-session used to segfault right
after login. Now it abruptly stops and gets back to the login screen
again. If I set GDK_USE_XFT=0 then the segfault appears again...

My .gnome-errors file shows:

aborting...
/root/garnome/bin/gnome_segv: error while loading shared libraries: libgnomecanvas-2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: Error 23

Above that error, there are other font related errors:

aborting...
** ERROR **: Failed to match any font. This could be due to a broken Xft
configuration, or if you run XFree 4.1.0 due to a bug in libXrender.

Its been almost a week since I've been trying to get Gnome 2 running,
starting from Debian Experimental and now onto Garnome but no success

Any help would be appreciated.

TIA

Regards,