Re: root compilation

Hi, I'm the builder of the semi-official X4.2.0 deb packages, since Branden Robinson is a little on the busy side right now. You don't need Xft. You can dump it. XFS is essentially useless in X4 which uses libfreetype and libxfstt (or similar?) for font rendering by default. If you turn of XFS via init.d shutdown, you'll notice X still does all the font handling as before. Then, when you actually want to add fonts, edit the XF86Config.4 and add the fond path there, then run "xset fp rehash" or just restart the X server.

Cheers.
--Pat

the jackol wrote:
Hello Jeff,

Do you have permission to open the file? Are you sure LD_LIBRARY_PATH is
pointing to it? Is the file there?

The path was pointing only to the /root/garnome/lib directory, I now
added /usr/lib and this error disappeared.

Pretty straightfoward - is your Xft setup screwed? See /etc/X11/XftConfig.

The Xft errors still appear. I looked at the XftConfig file, it has the
following dir lines:

dir "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
dir "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType"

But these directories don't exist. Is there any package I need to
install for them?

I've attached my XftConfig file with this mail too...

Thanks a lot for the help.

Regards,