Re: root compilation

Jeff Waugh wrote:
> [ For everyone else stuck without yummy X 4.2.0 goodness on Debian, I've
> been using the XFree86 binary tarballs. They work very nicely, just install
> the Debian ones, then use Xinstall.sh to install the binary tarballs over
> the top. Not too messy, as removing the Debian packages will remove all of
> the installed files anyway. I did this on my desktop because of the G2D
> Xinerama vs. Canvas issues on X4.1. Useful if you need it. ]

Or you could wait two weeks and know for sure if my debs will be
available. Even if they don't make it to official debian status, they
may still be made available by me. Regardless, I'm not putting an
official debian release, so they're all 4.2.0_0.deb ...

> They're two different systems; XftConfig and XF86Config-4 are the
> configuration files for each.

Yes, they are. But if you just want to add fonts to X, adding them to
XF86Config.4 is sufficient. I mentioned XFS also, because it was a
stumbling block for me; it's also very buggy and by default makes your
fonts look ugly under Debian's X if it is run before X starts up (around
here it makes the fonts one size too large in programs like mozilla,
gkrellm, and anything gtk1.2). I'm guessing it's just around for
reverse-compatibility.

Are we off-topic yet?
--Pat