That fontconfig bug [Was: X dies on startup after installing garnome 0.19.3]

<quote who="John Affleck">

> [potentially useful info to make up for my blunder(s ?) earlier today]
>
> On Tue, 2002-12-10 at 12:45, Ganesh Swami wrote:
> > I had the same problem. I simply changed the permissions on my
> > share/fonts and another in the X11/lib directly. After the change, I was
> > able to run fc-cache on my own (non-root)
>
> If you're in a situation where you don't have root access, another trick
> is to use lndir to make a shadow copy of the system fonts, then change
> ${GAR_PREFIX}/etc/fonts.conf to point to those directories instead of the
> system ones. You can then run fc-cache without every being root.

Okay, this is getting into crackland. :-)

The fact that we have to run fc-cache is a bug. I don't know what's causing
it, but I'm trying very hard to work out why fontconfig is not working
seamlessly.

The idea is that libfontconfig will write a *local* font cache to your home
directory (~/.fonts-cache.1) so that you can just point to whichever
directories you want, and it will work for you. The fonts-cache.1 files in
the system directories are just so that multiple users don't have to keep
their own caches.

So, anyone who works out why the local stuff isn't working automagically
gets a prize. :-)

Thanks,

      "Then it hit me: What I really want is for all edit panes in all
    applications to be gnuclient processes hooked to a centralized emacs
                     gnuserver process!" - Gary Murphy