Re: X dies on startup after installing garnome 0.19.3

[potentially useful info to make up for my blunder(s ?) earlier today]

On Tue, 2002-12-10 at 12:45, Ganesh Swami wrote:
> I had the same problem. I simply changed the permissions on my
> share/fonts and another in the X11/lib directly. After the change, I was
> able to run fc-cache on my own (non-root)

If you're in a situation where you don't have root access, another trick
is to use lndir to make a shadow copy of the system fonts, then change
${GAR_PREFIX}/etc/fonts.conf to point to those directories instead of
the system ones. You can then run fc-cache without every being root.

	John A.