Re: Proposing game for inclusion

On Tue, 2014-04-15 at 15:46 -0700, Bryan Quigley wrote:
Just my two cents... Gnome Nibbles is still in C and that was one of
the reasons I'm interested in working on it..  I'm generally more
interested in Python3 / C than Vala because I see Vala being something
I would never use outside of Gnome...

I think it's important that we try to rewrite our games in a modern
programming language. But:

a) I think Python is fine. I'd prefer Vala personally, especially as
rewriting all the games in Vala has been an accepted goal for a couple
of years now and is roughly 2/3 complete. Vala is very well-integrated
with GNOME technologies (e.g. signals, composite templates, D-bus
interfaces, ...), and is becoming more popular (even GNOME libraries are
being ported from C to vala, like gcr and vte), and there's benefit to
the games each using similar technologies. Also, using Vala instead of
Python moves many errors from runtime to compile time, which I
personally consider a huge benefit. But I have no doubt that Python is
also a good language for GNOME applications. I'd really like to move
away from C.

b) I certainly don't expect anyone uninterested to do any of the work!
If it doesn't happen, then it doesn't happen. Vala progress has been
stalled recently and though both Mario and I have been meaning to get it
started again, we'll see.