Menus and GNOME games

OK, I promise this is the last one.

What do people think about the future of menus in GNOME Games?  I
propose dropping them for some reasons:
- They're not touch friendly
- We don't have a lot of entries in them, so they're not too useful
(compared to other programs)
- They waste space on the windows / add visual clutter
- In Unity, the menus are as good as useless.  We can ignore this one
if we're only targeting GNOME Shell.  No flames about Unity versus
GNOME Shell please. :)

If we drop them, what do we replace them with?  I think something like
the "cog menu", like Chrome.  The Elementary project
(http://elementaryos.org/) has been doing this well, and has some
libraries that make this easy (we could copy over to
libgames-support).

I propose we discuss this here and then we find the GNOME design team
and run the proposal past them. (It's a shame they don't use a list.
Please CC anyone you know with design experience who might be
interested in joining the discussion here).

I've been waiting for a modern HIG to materialize but it's not
happening, so let's start breaking new ground in the games.  We have a
nice history of doing that.