Re: Fwd: MIT OpenCourseWare Permission Request for [6.111 Spring 2006], OCW000007995

On Wed, 9 Apr 2008, Alan Horkan wrote:
On Tue, 8 Apr 2008, Thomas H.P. Andersen wrote:
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 23:18:04 +0200
From: Thomas H.P. Andersen <phomes gmail com>
To: games-list <games-list gnome org>
Subject: Fwd: MIT OpenCourseWare Permission Request for [6.111 Spring
    2006], OCW000007995

I tried to reach the copyright holder Marcin at various email
addresses I could find for him. Unfortunately all of them bounced and
there is only two days left to reply in. Does anyone know Marcin's new
email address?

How is a screenshot not Fair Use?

This looks to me like CYA or legal people being excessively careful.
Magazine reviews of Open Source projects frequently make these kinds of
requests even though the GPL (and in this case Fair Use) more than
entitles them to do what they need.  (If you can modify and fork it under
the GPL I ask again how can you not take a screenshot.  A question that
need not even be asked.  A symptom of the current excessive and draconian
copyright system?)

You could probably get away with something along the lines of
"as maintainer of Gnome Games ... I am not a lawyer ... limited use of a
screenshot of Gnome Games is considered Fair Use ... etc"

I agree fully with this, it's fair use to take a screenshot of Gnometris,
so my suggestion would be that we are pragmatic and allow MIT use the screenshot. It can only be a good thing for gnome-games.

 - Andreas