GtkGLArea for glChess?

glChess currently supports 2D mode using gtk/cairo, and 3D OpenGL using gtkglext. Which changes would be required for glChess to support GtkGLArea for Python (python-gtkglarea)?

It would be great if glChess could support as many graphical toolkits as possible, and since many Linux distributions only ship with either GtkGLArea or gtkglext, I think that glChess should support both, if possible.

So is this possible to do with glChess? What is the difference between GtkGLArea and gtkglext really? I haven't developed anything using either of these OpenGl libraries, but I've done some OpenGl programming previously.

And could this be rushed in before gnome-games 2.18?  :-)

 - Andreas