Fwd: GtkGLArea for glChess?

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Robert Ancell <robert ancell gmail com>
Date: 23-Jan-2007 21:16
Subject: Re: GtkGLArea for glChess?
To: Andreas Røsdal <andrearo pvv ntnu no>

I started using GtkGLArea back when I started combining GL and GTK+. I
changed to GtkGLExt as GtkGLArea became unmaintained. There looks like
there was an attempt to resurrect it
(http://www.mono-project.com/GtkGLArea). The packages in Ubuntu link
to GTK 1.2 and there are no python bindings available.

I think it would be a bad idea to link to multiple 3D libraries as
this creates a maintainence issue and GtkGLExt seems to be the
dominant library. What we really need is project Ridley
(http://live.gnome.org/ProjectRidley) to make native GL support (what
we want is gtk_widget_get_gl_context() like Cairo has). Unfortunately
I don't have the time or low level GL experience to get involved in
this at the moment.

So, yes it is possible. I can't (easily) test with my current system
and I suspect the library is unmaintained anyway. If anyone knows of a
distibution with easily installed python support for GtkGLArea on
GTK+2.0 please reply here.

--Robert

ps Andreas; trying to get it in before 2.18 - what a slave driver!