Re: Hearts considered?

Callum McKenzie wrote:
On Fri, 2006-05-26 at 17:58 -0700, Corey Burger wrote:
Very cool! My one concern is the use of Lua, which afaik, is not a
blessed GNOME dep. Might Python work in it's place?

gnome-games has never worried about unorthodox language requirements -
the game has just been made optional depending on whether the
appropriate environment has been installed. The use of scheme and C++
for aisleriot, blackjack and gnometris are examples of this.

There is another good reason to replace Lua in the long term: Scripts are not portable between different Lua versions. This is something I discovered when implementing the second AI in Hearts. Scripts written for Lua 5.0 will only run in Lua 5.0 and in Lua 5.1 run in backwards compatibility mode. It won't work on pre 5.0 or post 5.1 versions. I think Lua is mostly designed as an engine to me embedded in other applications, not run as a separate library on a user's system.

What would be the best scripting language to use from a gnome-games point of view? Scheme/guile?

--
Sander