Re: About GtkGLExt / glChess

On 8/31/06, Andreas Røsdal <andrearo pvv ntnu no> wrote:
Corey Burger wrote:
> n 8/31/06, Andreas Røsdal <andrearo pvv ntnu no> wrote:
>
>> There have been many good suggestions for new games in gnome games so
>> far. One of the games that I like is glChess
>> (http://glchess.sourceforge.net/). It depends upon OpenGl, using the
>> GtkGLExt library. Note that glChess does not require hardware support to
>> be playable with OpenGl, it can also be played with software as well.
>>
>> OpenGL is perfectly suited for game-development. I would imagine that
>> OpenGl would add the extra graphic-appeal to gnome-games that some
>> people have been missing, and that we possibly could see more games with
>> OpenGl for GNOME in the future. Many Linux distributions already ship
>> with several OpenGl games by default (eg. Neverball and Tux Racer).
>>
>> How do people feel about adding GtkGLExt as a library dependency on
>> gnome-games, if glChess would be selected as a new game?
>>
>>  - Andreas
>>

> I like the idea of OpenGL, but I have big concerns about thin clients
> and other memory tight environments. Thus, I suggest that glChess have
> a non-GL mode that is enabled by default, a standard 2D chess board.
> Create a view menu which allows users to change to OpenGL mode on the
> fly. Thus we can pimp the new stuff without pissing of our users (and
> our large deployments, most of whom are on some sort of thin client)

Take a look at:  http://bobthegnome.blogspot.com/  The main developer,
Robert, at least seems very interested in making this work, and has
suggested a 2D / 3D solution.  :)

 - Andreas

We should probably also try and draw this person in:
http://gnomefiles.org/app.php/pychess

As they are just starting on a python chess game in 2D.  After all,
one of the the goals is new developers.

His email is  thomas ahle dk

Corey