Re: make localisation easier use more stock items (use them everywhere)

On Sun, 2005-03-20 at 18:03 +0000, Alan Horkan wrote:
> As far as I know using a stock item shouldn't prevent setting a
> custom tooltip or does it?
It doesn't, in fact the new GTK menu construction code makes it rather
easy.

> You have shown that a stock item cannot be used for Play but even then it
> might be better if we were to ask the French translators of Gnome to use a
> more generic term, in English we could just as easily use the term "Start"
> to cover all these contexts.  Better internationalisation work will mean
> less localisation work.  (Although there are times with Localisation where
> you really need to carefully tailor the details I dont believe this is one
> of them.)
The only problem with using "Start" is that it isn't correct when a game
is already in progress. Since we have been trying to get the games to
start up in an instantly playable mode this isn't going to change. It is
silly for someone to launch a game and then have to press start to play
it. Anyway, this is a straw man that I am beating up, New Game or New
are fine descriptions, changing the name isn't going to help the icon
problem.

[ This is actually from a different email of Alan's, but for simplicity
  I have done a cut and paste job. ]
> I might need some help getting everything to build.  I've had some
> luck with Garnome but I'm still having a lot of problems when it comes
> to building bleeding edge software.
If you have a GNOME 2.10 development environment (e.g. Ubuntu Hoary,
yeah I know it's not technically stable yet, but it is in practice) then
CVS should build just fine. Actually, all you need is a recent glib/GTK
and a recent guile, I think we accept old versions of all the other
libraries.