Re: New Game Proposal - Multiplication Puzzle

On Sun, 2004-11-07 at 14:36 -0500, Michael Terry wrote:
> Hello gentle maintainers.  I know that the current hope is to decrease
> the number of games and forgive my presumption at recommending a game of
> my own creation, but please consider Multiplication Puzzle
> (http://mterry.name/gmult/) for inclusion in GNOME Games.
As you have guessed, the answer is: Sorry, but no.

There are four reasons, none of which are really your fault:
 - Space: the gnome-games package is already large.
 - Quality: ours, not yours. I would prefer to spend time finishing the
polishing work on the existing games rather than maintaining one more
game.
 - C++: Not necessarily a problem, the C++ bindings are stable and on
the same release schedule as the rest of GNOME. But using them would
make gnome-games the first to do so in the GNOME desktop release and I'm
not sure I want to deal with the politics right now. Although I have
been considering it for gnometris.
 - Internationalisation: Letters and Roman numerals are a very European
bias. Can this game be made to work in Chinese or Arabic ? I suspect not
easily.

It's the first two that are the real killers. I've been bad enough with
maintaining gnome-games in the last couple of months, I don't want to
make it worse :).

On the plus side I like this sort of puzzle and it is easier to play
than the emacs version (although it would be nice to be able to use the
keyboard to play it).