Re: SVG cards

Be careful here, many have nasty little clauses that are GPL
incompatible (at least in their first batch, I don't know if their
recent revisions change anything). Even the attribution licenses, which
seem broadly compatible, have details which make it unpleasant. LGPL is
a little strange in this context, but is guaranteed to be GPL
compatible.
I don't plan to change the license before the 2.0 version. If LGPL is good for gnome-games, kde-games, and all those GPL/LGPL softwares, then it is good me too.

Ideally this should be done by librsvg. I mean, I could run the SVG
through an locale-selected XSLT script at runtime and then load it with
gdk-pixbuf, but thats ugly. I would like to just load it into a pixbuf
(as I currently do) and have the SVG loader do everything. I haven't
looked at librsvg to see if this is possible/done already. I suppose it
could be as trivial as running any strings through gettext as they are
read by the SVG loader, but that could lead to some unexpected things
happening given that text carefully laid out in one language may not be
in the next. SVG itself doesn't seem to have any i18n/l12n capability
I think we could use a xslt transformation. You're right, the problem is not to change the letters. The problem is that the position (and sometimes the size) of the letters have to be different depending on the language. This is why I made the same cards for french and english and I converted characters to curves.
The files are bigger but the result is always the same on every platform.
The most important to me was to obtain a nice look for my cards.

The other point of view says that a French style deck should have French
markings for the same reason we don't translate the mahjongg tiles into
English or anything else, it just wouldn't be the same.
Yes, that's true. But, after all ;-), people like to have things in their own language. I have a long experience in this domain as I'm also the leader of the french translation of Mozilla. And people want to read english if they speak english and german if they're from germany (or austria and so on...).

Ideally, the best thing would be to have a template for my cards and instantiate each card using a small xml file, a xslt stylesheet a the svg template. But for the artistic point of view, it's definitely easier to draw one card and to ctrl+c ctrl+v the card with illustrator and inkscape ;-).

David