Re: SVG cards

On Thu, 2004-06-17 at 13:06, Jonathan Blandford wrote:
<.......>
> 2) Are they based off an existing deck?  If so, how old is the deck and
>    is it currently under copyright?
<.......>

It's fairly old (at least 140 years), and I have no idea if it is under
protection of any sort... I'm not a French lawyer.

Searching for "Jeu Portrait Francais en Pied" on google at the moment
will bring up a 1982 reproduction of a single-sided deck originally
published by Grimaud in 1816. There is also a deck for sale on the
internet, issued in 1860 by Grimaud, that uses the double-sided version
of this pattern... essentially same as the source images linked from the
SVG page.

France Cartes uses the Grimaud brand today.

-Richard Hoelscher