Re: SVG cards

> 3) LGPL is an odd license for the images.  A lot of the language of that
>    license has to do with linking and code -- which is debatably
>    applicable to svg.  I would recommend looking at the creative commons
>    site for a more appropriate license:
>
>         http://creativecommons.org/license/

Be careful here, many have nasty little clauses that are GPL
incompatible (at least in their first batch, I don't know if their
recent revisions change anything). Even the attribution licenses, which
seem broadly compatible, have details which make it unpleasant. LGPL is
a little strange in this context, but is guaranteed to be GPL
compatible.

> 4) Is the text in the corner from a particular font?  It would be cool
>    to localize this to other languages.  For example, English cards
>    would have J, Q, K, and A in the corners for Jack, Queen, King and
>    Ace.  German cards have B, D, K, and A (iirc).  It might be
>    interesting to look into doing that to make it obvious
Ideally this should be done by librsvg. I mean, I could run the SVG
through an locale-selected XSLT script at runtime and then load it with
gdk-pixbuf, but thats ugly. I would like to just load it into a pixbuf
(as I currently do) and have the SVG loader do everything. I haven't
looked at librsvg to see if this is possible/done already. I suppose it
could be as trivial as running any strings through gettext as they are
read by the SVG loader, but that could lead to some unexpected things
happening given that text carefully laid out in one language may not be
in the next. SVG itself doesn't seem to have any i18n/l12n capability

The other point of view says that a French style deck should have French
markings for the same reason we don't translate the mahjongg tiles into
English or anything else, it just wouldn't be the same.