Re: SVG cards

David Bellot <bellot stat berkeley edu> writes:

> Hi guys,
>
> I made a set of playing cards in pure SVG with Gnome-Games in
> mind. There are all the characters and numbers, jokers and 14 backs
> (with tux, gnome, etc....). Hope it helps. It is released under LGPL
> and located at http://david.bellot.free.fr

Traditional French cards!!  I love them!  They are really quite good
looking.

Some comments:

1) I'm ccing games-list gnome org here, which is a better place for
   discussion on the cards.  You might want to subscribe to it and
   follow up there.

2) Are they based off an existing deck?  If so, how old is the deck and
   is it currently under copyright?

3) LGPL is an odd license for the images.  A lot of the language of that
   license has to do with linking and code -- which is debatably
   applicable to svg.  I would recommend looking at the creative commons
   site for a more appropriate license:

        http://creativecommons.org/license/

4) Is the text in the corner from a particular font?  It would be cool
   to localize this to other languages.  For example, English cards
   would have J, Q, K, and A in the corners for Jack, Queen, King and
   Ace.  German cards have B, D, K, and A (iirc).  It might be
   interesting to look into doing that to make it obvious

Thanks,
-Jonathan