Re: Minutes of the Foundation Board, 13th March

On Wed, 2018-03-14 at 18:02 -0500, meg ford wrote:
Hi Germán,

On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 7:33 AM, Germán Poo-Caamaño <gpoo gnome org>
wrote:

On Wed, 2018-03-14 at 10:00 +0000, Allan Day wrote:
= Foundation Board Minutes for Tue, March 13th 2018, 18:00 UTC =
[...]
 * Moderation of public mailing lists (Carlos)
  * There have been some complaints that mailing lists aren't
being
properly moderated - primarily unpleasant/toxic emails being
ignored
  * There's no escalation process - what can people do if they
feel
they've been mistreated?
  * There's no process for becoming a moderator or joining a
moderators team
  * Questions:
   * Would it be better to tackle this issue once we have a code
of
conduct?
   * Is it the moderator's role to police behaviour, or is it
more of
an admin role?
  * Rosanna - some moderators have taken a more active role in
the
past.

FWIW, I am the administrator of the gtk-list, and my role has
always
been checking the queue of pending messages to the list. Some eons
ago
I requested to pass the list to the moderators team, with no
response
(AFAIU).

When I stepped in, I think that was the role it was always expected
for
the list's "moderator".

The thing is, I could barely moderate the behaviour in the list if
unsubscribed myself of such list several years ago (more than 5 or
6,
for sure). Whenever I need to figure out something, I read (or
search)
the archives.

My understanding is that many in the moderator team (or as it was
originally proposed) did not need to be subscribed. Even more, it
was a
way for newcomers to get involved.

During the board meeting no one mentioned the existence of a
moderator team. I don't think the current Board knows anything about
it. Can you point us to information about it (if any exists), or give
us some background (if there's no documentation)?

Hi Meg,

The Moderator Team started on January 2005, it seems the idea came from
Ross Golder (IIRC, an active member of the Sysadmin Team back then):

https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-infrastructure/2005-January/msg00
015.html

It was announced to all mailing list owners:
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/meld-list/2005-January/msg00007.html

And, as I said before, the idea also involved getting newcomers
involved:
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-love/2005-August/msg00017.html

The team is listed among all other teams:
https://wiki.gnome.org/Teams

And the latest information available from the team is from 2010:
https://wiki.gnome.org/ModeratorTeam

I hope this helps.

--
Germán Poo-Caamaño