Re: Minutes of the Board meeting of February, 21st, 2017

Hi board,

It has been over a month since we've had any new meeting minutes. It's
difficult for the Foundation members to discuss current issues with
you if the minutes go out over 6 weeks after the discussion has taken
place. Are there any plans to improve the time it takes for the
minutes to be published?


On 2 March 2017 at 02:34, Cosimo Cecchi <cosimoc gnome org> wrote:
= Foundation Board Minutes for Tue, February 21st 2017, 18:00 UTC =

Next meeting date Tue, February 28th 2017, 18:00 UTC


== Attending ==

 * Meg Ford
 * Allan Day
 * Alexandre Franke
 * Jim Hall
 * Nuritzi Sanchez
 * Rosanna Yuen
 * Neil McGovern
 * Cosimo Cecchi
 * Shaun McCance

== Regrets ==

== Missing ==

== Agenda for 2017-02-21 ==

 * Welcome to Neil!
 * SCALE 15x budget
 * UNIXSticker campaign
 * ED travel expenses (see conferences_2017.ods in
 * From board-list - "GIMP @ LGM 2016 Reimbursements - final 2"
 * Domains email from Andrea

== Minutes ==

 * Round of introduction to welcome Neil

 * SCALE 15x budget
  * Nuritzi is requesting a budget for $350 for stickers and other materials
to be used for SCALE and other US conferences/events
  * The US travel box went missing a few years ago and has not been replaced
   * It was inconvenient/expensive to use the US travel box, and it had no
SWAG in it either
   * People liked the fact that it had a bigger monitor in it though
   * It may be cheaper to print materials locally in the future, and focus
on making it easier for groups to be self-sufficient
  * Estimation of materials: 700 stickers, 100 flyers
  * VOTE: approve a $350 budget for the materials
   * +1 Nuritzi, Alexandre, Jim, Allan, Meg, Shaun, Cosimo. VOTE PASSED

 * UNIXSticker campaign
  * Signed stickers, Neil could participate.
   * ACTION: Nuritzi will connect Neil to them

 * ED travel expenses (see conferences_2017.ods in
  * We need to approve Neil's travel budget, so he can start booking flights
for the events he would like to attend
  * Neil sent a spreadsheet with the list of events
  * GTK+ hackfest and LibrePlanet (FSF conference) are the events that need
most urgent approval
   * Would be possible to also schedule a meeting with RH's advisory board
member (Christian Schaller) while there in Boston
  * How much oversight did EDs have in the past about which events they
attend and travel budget?
   * Not a lot of oversight, Stormy/Karen were quite independent in setting
their own schedule
   * It would be good to have an idea of how much we spent on this for other
  * Board and treasurer need to decide how comfortable they are with giving
the ED a travel budget and autonomy on this point
  * We should still vote on the two urgent events before having a broader
  * VOTE: approve these expenses only, before we have a broader conversation
about travel budget
   * +1 Nuritzi, Cosimo, Allan, Shaun, Meg, Alexandre, Jim. VOTE PASSED
  * ACTION: Neil to reach out to Kat about travel budget

 * From board-list - "GIMP @ LGM 2016 Reimbursements - final 2"
  * Need to go through the receipts and put them on the wiki
  * ACTION: Nuritzi to work with Rosanna on this

 * Domains email from Andrea
  * We don't want to keep them for now, but we can ask the community if
people want to pick them up
  * ACTION: Nuritzi to follow up with Andrea

== Ongoing ==

'''This section includes items which have seen an update in the last 30
days. Format is "YYYY-MM-DD, action|discussion|abstract" for this and
subsequent minutes sections'''

 * UNIXSticker signed stickers campaign
  * Neil could participate
  * 2017-02-21
   * ACTION: Nuritzi will connect Neil to them

 * From board-list - "GIMP @ LGM 2016 Reimbursements - final 2"
  * 2017-02-21
   * ACTION: Nuritzi to work with Rosanna on this

 * Domains email from Andrea
  * 2017-02-21
   * We don't want to keep them for now, but we can ask the community if
people want to pick them up
   * ACTION: Nuritzi to follow up with Andrea

 * WHS donations report
  * 2017-02-14
   * ACTION: Alexandre to follow-up with WHS about donation reports

 * Hackfest process documentation
  * 2017-02-14
   * ACTION: Nuritzi to take a stab at updating the documentation for the
process to request a hackfest and responsibilities between Board and TC

 * Participation in academic survey email
  * 2017-02-07
   * This person should feel empowered to contact the community directly
   * ACTION: Cosimo to respond

 * ED hiring update
  * 2017-02-14
   * Reimbursements for expenses
    * It may be cheaper to bundle the reimbursement together with the
paycheck, but it depends on the payroll company whether that's possible
    * ACTION: Rosanna to investigate
   * Neil starts tomorrow

 * Should the GNOME Foundation issue a statement about the immigration ban?
  * The Linux Foundation did:
  * 2017-02-14
   * Allan is working on a draft statement

 * 2017 Budget
  * ACTION: Nuritzi to send a framadate for a budget meeting with the board,
Neil and Kat

 * From the mailing list - patreon campaign
  * 2017-02-07
   * For now, we are promoting the campaigns but not getting involved
   * ACTION: Nuritzi to ask Neil for his opinion

 * Pitivi fundraiser beneficiary
  * 2017-01-10
   * Kat sent Alexandre a version of the contract, Alexandre got back to Kat
with some questions as to what still remains to be done
  * 2017-02-07
   * ACTION: Alexandre to finish the contract draft for the Board to review

 * libertyVPS server donation
  * 2016-12-20
   * ACTION: Meg to check with sysadmins whether we actually need a server
  * 2017-01-10
   * Meg sent an email and is waiting to hear back from the sysadmin team.

 * Chrome Store account for managing GNOME Shell integration browser
  * 2016-12-20
   * ACTION: Shaun to find out more about what's involved in creating an

 * Dropping dates in copyright claims on our websites
  * 2016-12-06
   * ACTION: Alexandre to send an email to foundation-list with a proposal
for discussion
  * 2016-12-20
   * Next step seems to be to reach out to Creative Commons to get advice on
what exactly can and should be done
  * 2017-01-24
   * Alexandre reached out to Creative commons

 * Google Play account
  * 2016-09-27
   * was done, we need to
pay a $25 one-time fee for the developer account
  * 2016-10-04
   * Payment is authorized
   * ACTION: Rosanna to make the payment and follow up with Ankit
  * 2016-10-18
   * Rosanna is waiting for Ankit to reply about the gmail account
  * 2016-11-01
   * Board is discussing who should have access to the credit card
associated to the account
  * 2016-11-29
   * ACTION: Rosanna to look into getting a PayPal credit card
  * 2016-12-20
   * Rosanna has been collating materials to update the PayPal account owner
before looking into the credit card

 * Privacy campaign funds
  * 2016-09-27
   * Draft is out for the Board to review and give feedback
   * ACTION: Cosimo to try and form a committee to review internship
  * 2016-10-26
   * We are aiming for an internship round in spring 2017

 * Bitcoins donations data
  * 2017-02-07
   * Neil will help with this going forward

=== Ongoing but stalled ===

'''This section includes items which haven't seen an update in the last 30

 * Owncloud shared calendar for the board
  * 2016-08-10
   * Cosimo tested creating an event, but with mixed results
   * ACTION: Cosimo to take it on from here
  * 2016-09-06 - Allan has started a list of reoccuring events on the wiki -

 * Money raised for defense against Groupon
  * Kat to draft a call for Free Desktop-style hackfests which would be
sponsored with money raised for defence against Groupon
  * 2016-09-06
   * We probably don't want to track exactly this money flow, but the
initiatives that the Board has been pursuing (Flatpak, LAS GNOME) are good
fits for the original intent this money was kept for
   * We can consider making a PR or some other form of announcement about
how we're currently making use of this money

 * Paypal Giving Fund
  * Alexandre suggested in december 2015 to get us enrolled in the program
   * That would give us exposure. For example Humble bundle allows to direct
the charity part of purchases towards any of their participants
  * Zana tried to get us in sometime before may 2016, we never heard back.
  * 2016-09-06
   * ACTION: Zana to look into it.

 * From the mailing list - "support my volunteer program" (Allan)
  * 2016-08-30
   * There's very little information in the message, unclear how they're
related to GNOME
   * ACTION: Shaun to reply asking for more information

 * Google ad grant
  * 2016-08-10
   * ACTION: Shaun will pick this up again and try to register us into the
program when he's back in the US
   * The actual ad campaigns would probably need to be managed by the
Engagement/Marketing team
   * ACTION: Nuritzi to discuss with the Engagement Team and let the board
know if they want to start using Google ad

 * Sysadmin fundraising levels and perks
  * 2016-08-10, ACTION: Nuritzi to take on this project and figure out what
it entails

 * Web page for prior pants winners
  * 2016-08-10, ACTION: Shaun and Allan to add the web page

 * Status of logo copyright
  * 2015-12-01, ACTION: Shaun to send out email to d-d-l with proposal
  * 2015-12-08 to 2016-01-19, No updates.
  * 2016-02-02, Shaun will try to pick it up this week
  * 2016-08-10, ACTION: Shaun will send a proposal to licence the asset with
dual LGPLv3/CC-BY-SA-4.0 (similar to adwaita-icon-theme)

 * Friends of GNOME
  * 2016-04-11, ACTION: Alexandre to request more information about the
donation data from the European donations system (Wau Holland Stiftung
  * 2016-08-10
   * ACTION: Allan to get in touch with Tobi and the sysadmin team to
migrate the FoG infrastructure over to GNOME

=== Ongoing but no director assigned ===

'''This section includes items which haven't seen an update in the last 30
days and have no Director assigned'''

== Nice to have ==

'''This section includes items which we would love to see happen at some
point but lack the time to effectively become reality'''

 * Contract template for future use organizations for which we handle money
  * Kat to draft this

 * Privacy policy for GNOME services
  * Current draft is at
  * Sysadmin Team's NDA should also be covered when dealing with this item
  * Kat or Allan to write up the policy
  * Kat or Allan to write up recommended wording for distribution privacy
policies, regarding the behaviour of GNOME software

 * Photography policy for GNOME conferences
  * Proposal needs to be drafted and sent to foundation list for discussion
  * Should probably be addressed at the same time as a standardised code of

== Discussed on the mailing list ==

== Completed actions ==

foundation-list mailing list
foundation-list gnome org

[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]