Re: Question to GNOME Foundation Board candidates

Hi Daniel,

On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 11:38 AM, Daniel Espinosa <esodan gmail com> wrote:
As Foundation Bouard Member:

** How do you address negative campaigns from *users*? There are a response on blog.gtk.org, but developer oriented not user oriented, then there are few diffussion about GNOME technologies goodness and use in other projects (including KDE).

I don't think it should be the responsibility of the board of directors to directly address negative users' comments; other teams (e.g. the Engagement and Marketing teams) exist in the community to work on social media and the promotion of positive messages around the GNOME technologies and brand.
The board can work to empower such teams with the resources they need to be effective, or by bringing a specific campaign or comment to their attention when needed.

** Are you planning to produce a "User Experience Road Map" for GNOME? In order to help users see how they will be beneficied with GNOME's infraestructure and/or libraries. I mean, how, for example, Gtk+ changes and roadmap, is going to help users to get the best of their favorite Desktop Environment.

Keep in mind that the board is not directly involved with the technical planning or the design of the user experience for the project.
However, your idea sounds pretty nice, and if you or other people in the community were to try to pursue it and needed support or coordination across different teams, I think the board should be able to help you.

** Are you planning to involve GNOME Foundation or sign an alliance with other non-profit organization, in order to support developers fixing users requested bugs/wish lists/fix beheavoir of GNOME related projects? Check at [1]

I'm not sure I fully understand the idea and which other organizations would be involved, but there is definitely precedent for bug bounty initiatives in the free software and open source world.
I will always be supportive of initiatives like this, and will seek involvement from the GNOME board if one emerges, but I don't think I will have the bandwidth to start an initiative like that myself.

Thanks for your questions, let me know if you have more!

Cheers,
Cosimo