Re: Travel committee disfunctional?

On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 6:31 PM, Alberto Ruiz <aruiz gnome org> wrote:
Zeeshan,

Alberto,

I understand your frustration,

I like to believe people mean well and I think you do too in here but
sorry I don't feel that you understand my frustration, reading through
the rest of your reply. You completely focused on my email and showing
how it's not constructive at all, instead of suggesting any solution
to the actual problem.

but how would you feel if you were one of the volunteers throwing as much
spare time as you have to help in the committee and you read your email (or
even just the subject, which I find discouraging enough)? how would you feel
if you were thinking about becoming a volunteer on this or some other
committee/group within GNOME and saw this kind of negative feedback thrown?
Do you think your email is particularly encouraging?

1. Soon after sending this email, I immediately started to get replies
to my emails from one member of the travel committee and was informed
of the status of my reimbursement So yes, this seems to have been not
entirely futile.

2. I did not mean this to be a insulting email but more like bringing
up an issue. If my choice of words wasn't the best, I do apologise.

We must be rather careful with words towards people making an extra effort
outside of their work/"normal" life to help run this community. This sort of
problem is normal in any volunteer based organization, which you should know
by now, and your email doesn't quite point things towards any particular
solution. What are we (the foundation members) supposed to do with your
email? Unleash some sort of imaginary whip towards the travel committee? I'm
pretty sure they're doing their best.

Like many people here suggested, a solution could be for more people
on the committee. If that's the case, I'd like to volunteer (though
I'm guessing this is the not the right place for that).

P.S. Please note that the actual re-reimbursement process being slow
is not what I was getting frustrated about but rather the complete
lack of communication from the committee for weeks in a row despite
weekly reminders and having no idea about when I'll be reimbursed.

--
Regards,

Zeeshan Ali (Khattak)
Befriend GNOME: http://www.gnome.org/friends/