Re: Agenda for board meeting on November 3rd

On Fri, Nov 06, 2015 at 04:40:35PM -0500, Richard Stallman wrote:
  > > I suspect that uploading to the app store also requires nonfree software,
  > > but I don't know for certain.

  > To the best of my knowledge it does not, though some effort is required
  > to avoid it.  (See some of the recent discussion about the Android SDK
  > and its EULA, for instance.)  It's possible that it requires proprietary
  > JavaScript; I have not personally tested that.

Proprietary Javascript is what I suspect Google requires.

However, this is a secondary issue -- the primary one is that the user
must run nonfree software to install the app from there.  Leading
others to run nonfree software is more grave than using nonfree
software yourself.

Agreed.  I think it's important to make Free Software available for
proprietary platforms as a bridge to draw people in; I have a personal
fondness for that approach as it's the path I took myself (replacing
most of my regularly-used apps on Windows with Free Software
replacements that also ran on GNU/Linux, and then replacing Windows with
Debian GNU/Linux).

  > While I do think we should recommend fdroid.org as preferable and only
  > link to it (such as in links from the GNOME application and its
  > documentation), and avoid linking to a version in the Play store (e.g.
  > "To use the Foo feature, install the Foo application for Android,
  > available via https://f-droid.org/...";), that doesn't preclude making
  > the application available via the Google Play store for users who
  > already have that installed.

That's true.  The program's developers, or others, can put it in the
Google store if they wish.

My point is that the GNOME Foundation should not do so.

That seems like a reasonable point; I'm somewhat inclined to agree for a
different reason, namely that the GNOME Foundation should on principle
not be paying the entry fee for a proprietary app store, however small. :)

That said, I do think it's reasonable for the description of the
application *in* the Play store to reference GNOME, in the course of
explaining that it works with a specific Free Software program, that the
recommended place to obtain the app is f-droid, and providing links to
GNOME.