Re: More questions for Board candidates

Karen Sandler <karen gnome org> wrote:
I have a few questions for the candidates too. I agree with what has been
said by Jeff and Josh that it's important that people on the board have a
diverse skillset, so I wouldn't expect all board members to answer yes on
these, but I think it's good to know if at least a few people on the board
have some background in these areas...

Have you ever done any fundraising?

It depends on what you mean by fundraising. I've worked on the Friends
of GNOME through my participation in the Engagement Team, and have
ideas in that area that I'd be interested in pursuing if I was
elected. There have also been a small number of occasions where I've
had to ask around for money, such as trying to get sponsors for events
I've organised, or for initiatives I have been involved in.

Are you comfortable asking sponsors for money?

I think I could do this in the context of the board. That said, I'm
not sure I'd be the best choice, as I probably wouldn't be as
assertive as some others.

Have you ever been in a manager role?

I do informal project management as a part of my day-to-day work, but
I've never formally managed employees or members of a team. That said,
while I don't have direct experience, I do have some relevant
experience, and this is something that I am interested in and I think
I could be good at.

Do you have any experience talking to reporters?

Yes - I've given interviews, responded to press queries, and written
press releases.

Have you ever talked to a group of people about why software freedom is
important?

Yes - this is a subject that I've addressed in talks I've given, and
it is also something that I have read and written about a fair bit.

Allan