Re: code of conduct question for Board candidates

On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 12:34:14AM +0100, Magdalen Berns wrote:
OK in light of these responses, I feel I should maybe better clarify that
whilst I agree this sort of stance may be a fair way to moderated
communications with non-members, I do not agree with expelling card
carrying members from lists, channels or servers under any circumstances.

I agree that people should not lose access to resources while remaining
a Foundation member.  An offense serious enough to permanently lose
access to those resources is an offense serious enough to revoke
someone's membership in the Foundation.

Let us hope that we don't ever have to put that into practice.

Ultimately, people have a right to be objectionable a-holes. as long as
they are not infringing on anyone else’s rights in the process, in my view.

I regret that this mail is too short to fully contain the depths of my
disagreement.  Rather than continue an extensive debate on what is
likely a fundamental point of disagreement, I'll summarize my own
position on the same point, and leave the rest for some time other than
the candidate Q&A period:

People can do as they like on their own systems and resources, but when
participating in the GNOME community, they should do so with respect.
Refusing to exclude anyone is itself an exclusionary policy; it selects
for the kind of people who will put up with absolutely anything, and
excludes people who do not feel comfortable in such an environment.
That creates a kind of community that I would not want to see GNOME
become; there are too many of those already, because there are too many
projects unwilling to kick out awful people.

See also
http://www.slideshare.net/dberkholz/assholes-are-killing-your-project

- Josh Triplett