Re: foundation application..

On 12 February 2015 at 15:03, Magdalen Berns <m berns thismagpie com> wrote:

On 12 February 2015 at 13:42, Magdalen Berns <m berns thismagpie com>
wrote:
One thing I thought of would be to change the direction of the process
to be an invitation rather than an application.
If you see someone helping, instead of pushing him to apply you could
fill in the form describing his contributions (and possibly the name
of someone else who can support it) and if accepted he would get an
invitation to join the foundation.

That seems highly masonic.

I think it would be good in addition to the current process, not
replacing it, for the many people who will never feel they do great
things, even if they do (see Imposter Syndrome).

I don't have any problems with people suggesting to contributors that they
should apply because this would may give a deserving contributor the
confidence to go for it, but that does not seem to be what you are
suggesting. What you seem to be suggesting is masonic. Perhaps you could
clarify what you mean by this nomination system idea, in case I
misunderstood what you mean in terms of its practical application.

My idea was to have someone else describe your accomplishments and
apply for you.
If the application is accepted we can inform the person that their
application done by "other person" was successful and they just have
to say if they are accepting to be a member of the foundation.
If it is rejected, I don't think we want to inform them.

The bylaws state the following[1]

"Any contributor to GNOME shall be eligible for member-ship.

A "contributor" shall be defined as any individual who has contributed
to a
non-trivial improvement of the GNOME Project, such as code,
documentation,
trans-
lations, maintenance of project-wide resources, or other non-trivial
activities which
benefit the GNOME Project. Large amounts of advocacy or bug reporting
may
qual-
ify one as a contributor, provided that such contributions are
significantly
above the
level expected of an ordinary user. Contributions made in the course of
employment
will be considered and will be ascribed to the individuals involved,
rather
than accruing
to all employees of a "contributing" corporation."

I suggest we just make the rules much clearer to people on the outreach
pages by clarifying what "non-trivial" actually means. GSoC/OPW interns
are
told to make more contributions after their 3 month internship before
applying. That suggests that the contributions they make over their 3
month
internship of 40 hours per week are trivial. It's no wonder contributors
find the process of making a membership application intimidating
considering
that, isn't it? How could a volunteer compete with an someone who is
being
paid to work on GNOME full time (even if it is just for 3 months)?

[1] http://www.gnome.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/bylaws.pdf

Giving more examples would clearly help.
I believe the GSoC/OPW is special as they have incentive to contribute
which then finish and it's probably a matter to see if they continue
contributing. It doesn't mean that what they did was non-trivial.

In practical terms it does and it certainly is not likely to help anyone's
imposter syndrome to be told their work is trivial if it isn't, either.
Let's review the facts:

Bylaws state that all contributors (i.e. those who shall be defined as any
individual who has contributed to a non-trivial improvement of the GNOME
Project) are illegible for membership.
Bylaws state "Contributions made in the course of employment will be
considered and will be ascribed to the individuals involved, rather than
accruing to all employees of a "contributing" corporation.

Those are the rules. Therefore, if GNOME does not actually believe that all
interns make trivial contributions, then GNOME effectively contradicts its
own bylaws in stating that all interns should not apply for foundation
membership on the strength of their contributions over 3 month period of 40
hours of work a week (i.e. internship) alone.

Yes I definitely agree this is a problem, If we make an exception of
excluding non-trivial contributions done during an internship, it
should be part of the rules.
But I think this is a different problem unless some people have
interpreted it as needing to do something more important than what
they had done during their internship.