Re: Minutes of the Board Meeting of January, 23th, 2015

hi Jeff;

On 5 February 2015 at 06:26, Jeff Fortin Tam <nekohayo gmail com> wrote:

If the majority of the people on the list here tell me "Seriously, drop
*everything* else, freeze everything until you get the ED", then I can
consider that course of action. We are your elected officials after all.

the board should never have to make this decision, nor should the
foundation membership put the board in this position; putting
everything on hold for the ED search would be irresponsible. I
sincerely hope nobody is suggesting this course of action.

this kind of situations is why the board is empowered by the bylaws to
create a committee for the ED search. since the ED search also means
answering the questions "what is the ED's job description anyway" and
"how much can we pay this person" are part of the remit of this
committee. the board would then interact with the committee without
having the burden to discuss the issue every single time, draining
resources away from the day-to-day needs of a complex foundation like
GNOME.

forming the ED search committee is going to be slightly problematic:
the board will need to find reliable, trustworthy people with enough
time on their hands for the job. this is probably a good time to get
the ball rolling, and start asking the membership for help in this
delicate time and for this goal.

arguably, this should have been set up right at the end of the
previous board's term/beginning of this board's term, but I suspect
that the GroupOn issue threw a massive spanner in everybody's
timetable.

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--