Re: OPW; Where does the 500$ for each GSoC goes?

On Mon, 2014-09-15 at 09:08 +0200, Christophe Fergeau wrote:
Hey Michael,

On Sun, Sep 14, 2014 at 07:15:42PM -0500, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
It would also be good to actually consider the value of student projects
before funding them. With GSoC we just picked which students seemed most
likely to successfully complete the projects they proposed, rather than
actually evaluating which projects were most important to GNOME.

Most of the GSoC projects we get proposals for are ideas which were
suggested by mentors/members of the GNOME projects on
https://wiki.gnome.org/Outreach/SummerOfCode/2014/Ideas
Students are also encouraged to come up with their own project ideas,
but in this case we insist that this must be discussed with the project
maintainers first to make sure that this is something that is useful to
the project. Then there are indeed some (a few!) more experimental
projects that we pick because the student seems good, and this could
have an interesting outcome, but we don't pick a lot of such projects
each year.

Yes, but I don't think that process is sufficient. Some of the projects
that get accepted seem to be of significantly higher value to GNOME than
others. Others are important, but not really enough to merit the entire
stipend.

I think we got a good set of students, but I'd rather select a
promising student while rejecting the student's project proposal if
the proposal is only tangential to our interests.

You seem to imply we should reorient good students on more important
projects if what they propose does not seem very useful?

Yes! Within reason; we don't want to push students to work on projects
they're not interested in, but we also don't want to fund them to work
on something that's largely tangential to our interests.

One thing to
keep in mind about GSoC is that we don't know in advance whether the
student will manage to complete their project during summer or not. This
means it's generally preferrable not to push students to work on
features which _must_ be in the next GNOME release, as we may then
realize very close to code freeze that this very important feature is
not going to be completed by the student in time for the release.

I agree. It's better for GSoC/OPW projects to focus on achieving a
non-urgent goal. This is already the case for all, or almost all, of our
projects, though.