Re: OPW; Where does the 500$ for each GSoC goes?

On Sun, Sep 14, 2014 at 02:57:20PM +0200, Sébastien Wilmet wrote:
On Sun, Sep 14, 2014 at 02:07:45PM +0200, Sébastien Wilmet wrote:
For the GNOME Foundation, or other similar organizations, it is
different in my opinion. It seems that the GNOME Foundation spends money
on outreach. It *is* possible for the GNOME Foundation to decide to
spend less money on outreach, and more money on something else, for
example on the developer experience.

Like the Linux Foundation, the GNOME Foundation could hire one or more
developers. And spend less money on expensive intercontinental travels.

"Like"?  I don't think you know exactly what I do for the Linux
Foundation :)

The Linux Foundation has only 2 developers, a very small percentage of
its total employees.  And all I do is "spend money on expensive
intercontinental travel".  My job _is_ outreach.  I travel to talk to
companies, user groups, colleges, conferences, governments, and anyone
else who will listen to me.  I also spend my time with OPW to nurture
future developers, GSoC since the beginning to grow new developers,
kernelnewbies to make it easy for new developers to get involved, and
some other unnamed projects that are doing a wonderful job in bringing
in new, and sometimes marginalized developers into our community.

I do all of this because "outreach" is very important in order for a
project to be able to grow, and succeed over time.  The Linux
Foundation's members understand this, which is why I work for them and
they allow me to do this.

Be careful when using analogies, it might just prove the opposite of
what you were intending to do...

greg k-h