Re: GNOME starts campaign to protect its trademarks

At last count, the number was up to USD 87693.47.

It seems Shakespeare was quite wrong about the insignificance of "a name", after all... It would be great to see that money not have to go on Lawyers fees, I must say. One has to wonder why they didn't just use a trademark search first and why people are actually allowed to file for names which are already taken. The whole process seems a bit stinky.

Groupon have indeed contacted us in the last few hours and have agreed
to abandon their 28 relevant trademark applications as well as to
change the name of their product. For a little bit more information,
see http://www.gnome.org/news/2014/11/groupon-has-agreed-to-change-its-product-name/

Anyway, for those on the edge of their seats: Here is Groupon's statement: https://www.groupon.com/blog/cities/gnome-update. Their GNOME website is still going though: http://gnome.groupon.com/ I am cautiously optimistic given how much they seem to have invested in this already. It'll be interesting to see how things pan out.

Thanks for keeping us posted!

Magdalen