Re: Call for OPW project ideas

On 2014-11-10 04:38, Magdalen Berns wrote:
I highly doubt being an OPW mentor will increase the likelihood of my ending up in court.

I think that is not in question here. The point is that if a big
organisation who can afford to get sued is not willing to take a risk,
why should an individual volunteer be EXPLICITLY asked to do that when
there is seemingly no similar such demand made of the mentor
organisation for which they are volunteering their free time?

I'm sorry... I've been traveling a lot and am not caught up on emailing. I hope to find time to address more of these concerns on list but I'm completely swamped now.

I do want to say that many of our participating "orgs" are not really orgs at all. Some have absolutely no corporate form. Getting them to sign is not possible. Also, of the orgs that do have corporate forms, some of those aren't big and can't afford to be sued either. We have evaluated getting the mentor orgs to sign but after discussing at length with our pro bono counsel when we had the legal infrastructure written up we decided it made a lot more sense to set it up as we have, as the mentors have the most control over their participation in the program, ie their ability not to behave with gross negligence, recklessness or intentional wrongdoing. We do meet with the mentor "org" admins before allowing an org to join the program discussing the expectations for participation. Mentorship and expectations around it are a big part of the discussion.

karen