Re: Call for OPW project ideas

Hi,

dropping d-d-l and adding foundation-list.

On So, 2014-11-09 at 03:15 +0000, Magdalen Berns wrote:
        I think that in most European countries you can't legally "force" a
        non-local jurisdiction on an individual volunteer, so that part of the
        "contract"[*] would be legally very dubious...

Citation needed. Your definition of "forced" here is also bit dubious imho.

        [*] I'm not sure if a judge would accept a "contract" that is forced
        upon a unpaid volunteer individual and contains disproportionate and/or
        unequal language to be legally valid at all.

Again, if the volunteer signs this contract, in what world does the
law say they are being forced to sign it?

Hmm, depending on the jurisdiction, certain types of contracts can of
course be invalid. I wouldn't expect that this contract is entirely void
though, but this might depend a lot on the nationality (and/or even the
country of residence).

Does anyone know relevant national laws and international contracts
governing this?
I have no idea, but I would expect that it would not matter to the US
jurisdiction if the contract is void in my home country. So depending on
the laws in the US it may still be possible to file a civil lawsuit
against me in a US court. Whether my home country considers the contract
or claim valid would not matter at all.

Benjamin