Re: Question for candidates

----- Original Message -----

Hi Richard,

As other people mentioned, we've had joint events with KDE, which logistically worked out well. However, GUADEC is a 200-300 person event, and our goal for it is to have GNOME community members meet each other and have a chance to interact and work face-to-face. This becomes more difficult in a group twice the size, where not everyone is a GNOME user or contributor. This is why it was decided to host GUADEC separately and to have dedicated freedesktop hackfests that contributors involved with common technologies can attend, despite the financial attractiveness to sponsors of a joint event.

As you know, GNOME.Asia is co-located with FUDCon this year, and it would be interesting to know how that works out. GNOME.Asia has been much smaller than GUADEC in the past, and having many people attend it because of the co-location is definitely a positive outcome, so our interest in co-locating it might be different from co-locating GUADEC.

I second what Marina said about GNOME.Asia.

The goal of GNOME.Asia is to promote GNOME in Asian region. Most of the audience are GNOME/Linux users, FOSS community people. only 20% are core developers and leads from GNOME community. This is different from GUADEC.

Then co-host with other conference like FUDCon is working very well this way, because our audience is the same, we have common speakers, local organizers are already familiar with each other.

This year, in GNOME.Asia/ FUDCon 2014, we bring more speakers, attract more audience, find more local sponsors, at the same time, we reduce the cost by share with FUDCon.

Hope you enjoy your trip to Beijing and thank you for speaking at this joint event!

Yes, we are looking forward to RMS's speech this Sunday.

-Emily

Marina