Re: Question for candidates

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Stallman" <rms gnu org>
To: "Marina Zhurakhinskaya" <marinaz redhat com>
Cc: emilychen522 gmail com, foundation-list gnome org
Sent: Tuesday, May 20, 2014 6:25:22 AM
Subject: Re: Question for candidates

One possible idea would be to have joint events with KDE.  One joint
event could cost less, in total, than two separate events.

I don't know what practical obstacles there might be, but in principle
I think it is ok.

Hi Richard,

As other people mentioned, we've had joint events with KDE, which logistically worked out well. However,
GUADEC is a 200-300 person event, and our goal for it is to have GNOME community members meet each other and
have a chance to interact and work face-to-face. This becomes more difficult in a group twice the size, where
not everyone is a GNOME user or contributor. This is why it was decided to host GUADEC separately and to have
dedicated freedesktop hackfests that contributors involved with common technologies can attend, despite the
financial attractiveness to sponsors of a joint event.

As you know, GNOME.Asia is co-located with FUDCon this year, and it would be interesting to know how that
works out. GNOME.Asia has been much smaller than GUADEC in the past, and having many people attend it because
of the co-location is definitely a positive outcome, so our interest in co-locating it might be different
from co-locating GUADEC.

Hope you enjoy your trip to Beijing and thank you for speaking at this joint event!

Marina

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation