Re: Can a foundation member have access to the sponsorship history?

>> > 3) Check if the values spent are okay
>>
>> Here I am unsure what you are asking for.  I published summaries in the
>> past regarding to GUADEC, for example (Sorry for my English, it was
>> rustier than now):
>>
>> http://calcifer.org/notes/2009/05/status-of-guadecs-sponsorship-requests.html
>>
>> http://calcifer.org/notes/2010/04/guadec-status-of-travel-sponsorship-requests.html
>>
>> If you are asking for details of how much we have sponsored per every
>> individual, it was decided at the very beginning to keep that
>> information private.  It was also part of the announcement (see the
>> links below):
>>
>>     "Any information you send the TC will be private"
>>
>> If we provide the names and numbers, there will be missing contextual
>> information to explain some things.  And this could refrain people of
>> requesting sponsorship. So, there is a trade-off between transparency
>> and privacy.
>

> This is the thing that I don't understand.
> Why people would not ask for sponsorship if the reasons are valid? I mean,
> the transparency should not influence in these cases, right?
> IIRC, GNOME Foundation already asks people to do a blog post saying that
> they were sponsored by GNOME Foundation. So, what would be the problem to
> have a list of names, describing if the person is member or not of the
> Foundation and the motivation to help this person? (I'm not even talking
> about expose how much money they got from Foundation).

As I mentioned before, in some cultures, disclosing personal
situations can be considered shameful. Asking sponsorship applicants
to detail their personal financial situations publicly is very likely
to discourage applications from some parts of the world.

And what about have a list of sponsored people?
As I asked before, GNOME Foundation already asks people to written down a blog post with the stamp, showing that they were sponsored by GNOME Foundation.
Considering that it can discourage applications, should GNOME Foundation keep asking people to do this?

It may also
be insensitive in some cases, such as those where there has been some
sort of tragedy or suchlike which leads to a request.

And I guess this is an exception, right?

Best Regards
--
Fabiano Fidêncio