Re: Mission Statement

On Wed, Aug 06, 2014 at 10:05:45PM -0700, Germán Poo-Caamaño wrote:

The order of magnitudes are different.  For OPW (40 interns), GNOME has
to allocate $220,000 to be able to pay the interns. For a hackfest,
GNOME has to allocate between $1,000 to $15,000.

For OPW there are contracts that states with an exact date of payment.
For hackfests/travel assistance just good intentions on when (likely)
there would be a reimbursement.

From the advisory board, GF likely receives less than $200,000 a year on
fees.  Maybe less than $150,000. And possibly less if they don't pay on
time.  Therefore, I hardly see how a hackfest/travel
assistance/conference could freeze GF funds.

To increase the number of interns in OPW will depend on how good the
GF's finances are to back it up, regardless of how many sponsor would be
willing to pay... because it's a matter of cash flow.  In that sense,
the size GF can play against OPW itself.

IMO this a good summary why OPW should be in a different legal entity.

Repeating: I'm all for OPW, I think it is great that GNOME foundation
does this.
--
Regards,
Olav