Re: Proposal: DNS change irc.gnome.org becomes A record and irc.gimpnet.org starts getting phased out.

On Fri, May 10, 2013 10:55 am, Bastien Nocera wrote:
On Wed, 2013-05-08 at 10:02 -0700, Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:
To many, 'gimp' is an offensive term an given our dedication to a11y
it seems counter-intuitive to have this name in our infrastructure.

I've never heard the word "gimp" used as a slur against handicapped
people (which I guess is what you're getting at[1]). What made you think
that there was a connection between those 2 uses of the word?

To chime in here as another US-based native english speaker, I've come
across the negative reaction more than once in the past when telling
people to join us "on GIMPNet" and also when talking to newcomers about
what other awesome free software is available for them to use. It's a
connection that I think people naturally make, as the word is a well known
slur. Since for GNOME it's out of context to anyone who doesn't know about
the GIMP and the historical relationship with GNOME, I think it can make
people unnecessarily uncomfortable.

karen

Cheers

[1]: Rather than people who might need a11y technologies, which is
pretty much everyone (keyboard on touchscreen, text sizes, inverse
colours, etc.)