Re: Proposal: DNS change irc.gnome.org becomes A record and irc.gimpnet.org starts getting phased out.

On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 12:06 PM, Guilherme de Siqueira Pastore <gpastore gnome org> wrote:
On Thu, May 09, 2013 at 05:37:52PM +0200, Andrea Veri wrote:
> The IRCD ran by the GIMPNET team has all the configuration files pointing
> to their specific subdomains, that obviously won't change by just moving
> the CNAME to an A record. But that's actually expected since we don't run
> an IRCD server "in house" on the GNOME Infrastructure. (and that could be
> the only way for 'Your host is $hostname' to match with irc.gnome.org)

There actually are some ircd implementations providing a feature of virtual
hosts. Although debatable in many aspects, it could allow anyone connecting
to any GIMPNet server to be shown, to themselves and others, as connected to
irc.gnome.org, as long as that was the server informed in the USER command.

I do not believe that the ircd behind GIMPNet has this feature, though.

> I'm not sure if the GIMPNET team will agree to fix their MOTD et all to
> show the user connected to irc.gnome.org successfully for one main reason:
> GIMPNET is not only the GNOME IRC Network, but it currently serves many
> other irc channels not strictly GNOME-related.

The MOTD has no mention to *gimp*, if you take a closer look. Neither do the
server names, as a matter of fact. People are still connected to "GIMPNet",
however, as the network identifier.

Anyway, that was exactly the point of my last e-mail.

I was simply trying to argue that it is sure possible to switch from a CNAME
to an A DNS record. This is a technicality with little practical effect (as
long as GNOME keeps track of any changes in servers and their IP addresses).
We can also direct people to irc.gnome.org instead of irc.gimp.org, which may
be good in terms of public relations, but I think that is already the case.

But doing all that will not change the fact that they will still see
themselves connected to GIMPNet - which is a problem well outside the scope
of DNS changes.

To be honest, I am not even convinced there is indeed a problem, or at least
one we can solve (particularly while The GIMP continues to be an important
piece of any free desktop and continues to be called The GIMP).

As a native English speaker I can verify that the term it is indeed a problem. The GIMP, however, is widely used by people I know who don't even know what Free Software is. Changing its name could have pretty negative consequences for their project I would imagine (due to reduced name recognition), even though the acronym isĀ unfortunate and offensive.

Meg Ford

I was just pointing out that, although the proposed change can be put into
effect without much further consideration, the original issue remains an
issue.