Re: Proposal: DNS change irc.gnome.org becomes A record and irc.gimpnet.org starts getting phased out.

2013/5/8 Sriram Ramkrishna <sri ramkrishna me>

The proposal is to make irc.gnome.org be an DNS A record and we will continue to honor irc.gimpnet.org as a CNAME for one year in which case we will then remove it altogether.

A little clarification about this, the GNOME Sysadmin team doesn't have access to the DNS zone files for the gimp.org domain, and really there is no plan to change / update / modify any of the irc.*.gimp.*'s DNS entries. The GIMPNET network currently hosts a lot more channels than the GNOME-specific ones, so we can't and we won't drop irc.gimp.org/net all together and switch them to be irc.gnome.org.

The current DNS entry is setup as a CNAME, that means connecting to irc.gnome.org will redirect your client to irc.gimp.org. The idea here is to switch the DNS entry for irc.gnome.org to be an A record pointing to the irc.gimp.org's IP and listing the new entry (irc.gnome.org) as the official place contributors should connect to.

That said, any of the irc.*.gimp.* entries will remain as it is (really there's no need to update / delete the relevant entry for the solely reason that GIMPNET doesn't host only GNOME channels, we can't define GIMPNET as the *Official* GNOME network as of now), what will change is how the DNS record for the irc.gnome.org subdomain will look like, from a CNAME (plain DNS redirect) to an A record.

Andrea

Debian Developer,
Fedora / EPEL packager,
GNOME Sysadmin,