Re: Proposal: DNS change irc.gnome.org becomes A record and irc.gimpnet.org starts getting phased out.

On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 4:00 PM, Sumana Harihareswara <sumanah panix com> wrote:

On 05/08/2013 01:53 PM, Germán Póo-Caamaño wrote:
> On Wed, 2013-05-08 at 10:02 -0700, Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:
>> We are looking into changing our irc server name from
>> irc.gimpnet.org to irc.gnome.org and looking for feedback.
>
> I think you mean irc.gimp.org or irc.gimp.net.
>
>> Essentially, it's become problematic to have 'gimp' in the name
>> of our server.  To many, 'gimp' is an offensive term an given
>> our dedication to a11y it seems counter-intuitive to have this
>> name in our infrastructure.

100% agreed; "gimp" is a slur and it's embarrassing to mention it when
helping new people get into GNOME.

I agree. It's a slur, and we'd be better off with a different name.

Meg Ford

>> The proposal is to make irc.gnome.org be an DNS A record and we
>> will continue to honor irc.gimpnet.org as a CNAME for one year
>> in which case we will then remove it altogether.
>>
>> Other than the name of the server being changed and possibly any
>> associated certs I do not forsee any other impact.  Folks will
>> have to change the name of the server they connect to, software
>> like XChat will need to update their config files of default IRC
>> servers to reflect the change.
>
> I think we can promote irc.gnome.org, but I do not think it is our
> call to remove any domain or subdomain associated with GIMP
> project.  Did you ask to GIMP folks what do they think?
>
> Anyway, if you make the change, you should change irc.ca.gimp.org,
>  irc.us.gimp.org and irc.au.gimp.org as well.
>
> Also, the change would be meaningless if the network name and the
> welcome message does not change.  At the end of the day, in XChat
> you choose the network you want to join, not the domain name.
> That is the visible part most of the days.

Yes, we should also change the network name and welcome message.

- --
Sumana Harihareswara
http://www.harihareswara.net/