Re: Feature proposal process?

Dave Neary <dneary free fr> wrote:
It also says "Note that task owners are mandatory as this is not meant as a
random wishlist" - which I had taken as a warning not to submit proposals
unapproved (by who, I don't know).

I would like to suggest that anyone adding a feature request here also mail
d-d-l to start a discussion of it - the absence of any discussion of the
features last release is rather disconcerting.

Makes sense.

I would strongly encourage anyone who is interested in implementing a
feature to get in touch with one of the designers before formally
proposing. That way we will have the opportunity to establish how the
feature will integrate with the rest of GNOME 3. An informal
conversation also seems like the best first step in terms of
establishing the desirability of a feature and developing a shared
vision about how it will work. (I wouldn't describe this as a hard
requirement though.)

In general, how does one get in touch with the designers?

As you know, we don't have a dedicated design mailing list. You can
use a relevant mailing list (for the component in question, or through
ddl) or #gnome-design on IRC.

Is that a required step in the feature proposal process, or a suggestion on
your part?

It's not my place to say what is and isn't part of the process. That
said, my view is that it should be a recommendation.

If a feature proposal involves the inclusion of a new application in the
GNOME project, does the procedure change?

Not that I'm aware of, although the release team should have the final
word here.

Dave: feel free to point this person in my direction.

I'm happy to suggest they contact you (although that may have happened
previously). The specific question here relates to the feature process as I
don't have a good understanding of it - and, in general, I don't think "Mail
Allan" should be part of the process :-)

Again, they can mail a relevant mailing list or ask on ddl. Or they
can send a mail to me and CC the release team or a mailing list. My
main point here is that we really need developers to contact design
early in the process. Ideally developers and designers should be
working together to create feature proposals, rather than design
having to respond after the proposal is fully formed.

Allan