Re: Feature proposal process?

Hi,

On 03/22/2013 06:29 AM, Allan Day wrote:
I agree that this needs to be updated. We should have guidelines for
the feature proposal process.

Thanks Allan!

I did find https://live.gnome.org/ThreePointNine/Features but this page
contains instructions warning people against modifying it, and provides no
indication of where the features are being discussed.

It says "To add a task, create a subpage called
"ThreePointNine/Features/YourTask" and it will automatically be listed
here." I wouldn't describe that as a warning not to modify. It would
be helpful if it could contain more extensive instructions though.

It also says "Note that task owners are mandatory as this is not meant as a random wishlist" - which I had taken as a warning not to submit proposals unapproved (by who, I don't know).

I would like to suggest that anyone adding a feature request here also mail d-d-l to start a discussion of it - the absence of any discussion of the features last release is rather disconcerting.

I would strongly encourage anyone who is interested in implementing a
feature to get in touch with one of the designers before formally
proposing. That way we will have the opportunity to establish how the
feature will integrate with the rest of GNOME 3. An informal
conversation also seems like the best first step in terms of
establishing the desirability of a feature and developing a shared
vision about how it will work. (I wouldn't describe this as a hard
requirement though.)

In general, how does one get in touch with the designers?

Is that a required step in the feature proposal process, or a suggestion on your part?

If a feature proposal involves the inclusion of a new application in the GNOME project, does the procedure change?

Dave: feel free to point this person in my direction.

I'm happy to suggest they contact you (although that may have happened previously). The specific question here relates to the feature process as I don't have a good understanding of it - and, in general, I don't think "Mail Allan" should be part of the process :-)

Thanks!
Dave.

--
Dave Neary, Lyon, France
Email: dneary free fr / Jabber: nearyd gmail com