Re: Reaching out to Amazon for credit?

    Ubuntu has brought GNOME and Linux to millions of people.

Ubuntu is a GNU/Linux system, and some of its variants use GNOME.  The
users don't see Linux at all, and if it were replaced with the kernel
of FreeBSD they would hardly notice the change; but they do notice
GNOME if it is there.

That is good, as far as it goes, but our work aims for a purpose
beyond mere success.  Spyware in GNU/Linux undermines that purpose.

As ethical citizens, we must not let our judgment of large ethical
issues depend mainly on how they affect our own specific project.  We
must conform our work to our ethics and not vice versa.

Perhaps that means we should avoid being too "professional".

    I don't know whether Ubuntu collects data about users or not.

It is a grave issue for our communuty.
You ought to start paying attention.

								  But the way
    that you brought it up on this thread - about Amazon - and then attack turn
    the thread into an anti-Ubuntu campaign is really not professional.

No, that not what happened.  Here's what happened.

Someone briefly mentioned Ubuntu so I briefly referred people to our
article about Ubuntu.  Someone else posted a long defense of Ubuntu,
combined with a groundless personal attack against me.  I defended
myself from the attack by explaining the issue.  Each of my messages
addressed a topic already on the table.

    Richard, I find your emails very rude.

I don't see grounds for that -- they are not objectively rude.
The groundless personal attack against me -- that was rude.  But
you did not criticize that.  Why not?

Spyware in Ubuntu is an important issue, and these criticisms of my
message -- even if they were valid -- are a minor one.  Let the minor
issue not distract us from the important issue.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation