Re: Reaching out to Amazon for credit?

Hi Richard,

On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 7:20 PM, Richard Stallman <rms gnu org> wrote:

The problem with Ubuntu is not a tangent.  It is a disaster for free
software.  It threatens to lower free software to the level of the malware
that we condemn.

Ubuntu has brought GNOME and Linux to millions of people.

It's about Ubuntu.  It's about Ubuntu's malicious functionality,
spyware.  This is egregious behavior, and it calls for the strongest
response.  If it is accepted as normal, others are likely to follow
the same path!  We must respond to this as to a shocking crime.

I don't know whether Ubuntu collects data about users or not. But the way that you brought it up on this thread - about Amazon - and then attack turn the thread into an anti-Ubuntu campaign is really not professional. It's not a way to gain followers or to convince GNOME fans to do anything about what you are saying.

If you have an issue with Ubuntu, I think you should bring it up with the GNOME community. In a clearly defined thread of its own. You should also realize when you do so that a large portion of GNOME community members are Ubuntu users and that Canonical, the company behind Ubuntu, is a large GNOME contributor. I don't think the fact that Canonical is a large supporter of GNOME should change how you feel about what you do, I do think it should make you think twice about the motivation behind what they are doing and how you approach the GNOME community to affect any change you think is warranted. Being aware of the current situation can help make you more effective. Your mail about Ubuntu being spyware and malicious and the language you use about needing to be punished shows that you are not aware of the relationship/oneness between Ubuntu and GNOME contributors.

Richard, I find your emails very rude. It is possible that someone as intelligent as you could send such insensitive and rude emails without meaning to, but you should know that I find your emails very rude and very ignorant of the situation and the relationships that exist. I choose to think that you mean to make the world a better place by promoting free software, but I think you are doing so in a way that alienates many people that would be supporters.

Stormy