Re: Looking for community managers or enthusiasts!

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 8:16 AM, Shaun McCance <shaunm gnome org> wrote:
On Thu, 2012-11-15 at 22:44 -0800, Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:

> Let me add one other position.  We need to hire another sysadmin
> person.  Along the same community support, we need to also be able to
> have the infrastructure to support coming out with daily builds for
> the community to test out and give feedback on the new designs that
> come out.  Bug testing and performance testing as well so that we have
> a quality product.  If we are serious about doing GNOME OS we are
> going to need to upgrade our infrastructure.  We will need to do fund
> raising to be able get the right hardware and the right person to
> manage it.

I do appreciate that both of these positions could be beneficial to
GNOME, but please understand that employees are expensive, and the
GNOME Foundation has a relatively small budget.

Fundraising campaigns do not bring in the kinds of money you need
to hire full-time employees. They're OK for short-term or part-time
contract work.

I was thinking fundraising more for the hardware than the person.  Sorry if that wasn't clear.  While the hardware is a one time cost, the support contract is not and we will be required to pay for that.

sri

--
Shaun