Re: Proposal - merge the Foundation blog into gnome.org

Hi,

On 11/30/2011 05:28 PM, Allan Day wrote:
I wonder: how will this structure allow the evolution of handling news for
GNOME? Is there a way to submit a story or contact the editors? How does one
become an editor?

Personally, I don't think it should be the role of gnome.org to be a
generic news service. It should be more 'official' than that. That
isn't to say that we could not establish such a service elsewhere, of
course (this was discussed on the marketing list not long ago [1]).

We're on the same wavelenth. I'm thinking: how will the official news team scale over time? I've seen maintainers for various official GNOME things go away over time, and it would be nice not to bake that in here too - Planet, the website, the GNOME software map and the original sysadmins come to mind.

It would be good to have a way to easily spread the load, and have as little as possible of the resources be under 1 or 2 people.

I'm sure there are a few people who would contest this - who are consciously
not foundation members for some reason, while being GNOME hackers - and
there is also the technical difficulty of where you draw the line for
membership rights like having a vote in elections, but I think by and large,
defining the membership of the GNOME Foundation as "people involved in the
GNOME project" is fine.

I'd be interested to hear why people don't feel they want to be
Foundation members. I think it would be beneficial for the project if
there is a closer relationship between being a contributor and being a
Foundation member.

So would I! But I know that in the past when we've talked about the value of foundation membership, there have been one or two people who said "I don't want to be a foundation member".

Presumably "what to do about the Journal?" and "what to do about
news.gnome.org?" are separate discussions?

Yes, again, check the marketing list archive.

OK - thanks. I don't know if I mentioned here that I wasn't following the list for a few months.

Cheers,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary