Re: Proposal - merge the Foundation blog into gnome.org

Hi,

On 11/30/2011 10:32 AM, Allan Day wrote:
For a long time we have had a news feed for gnome.org and a separate
Foundation blog. I'm proposing that we combine them both into the
gnome.org feed.

I definitely think that moving to a unique GNOME News feed & news page is a great idea.

I wonder: how will this structure allow the evolution of handling news for GNOME? Is there a way to submit a story or contact the editors? How does one become an editor?

And, just to be clear, when you talk about the gnome.org news feed, you're talking about http://gnome.org/news (the wordpress blog) and not http://news.gnome.org (the Planet aggregator), yes?

A bit of background. First, I think we should be moving in a direction
where the Foundation isn't considered to be a separate entity from the
GNOME project. The Foundation is a vital part of our project, there
shouldn't be much of a difference between 'The GNOME Project' and 'The
GNOME Foundation' in terms of membership and identity.

I'm sure there are a few people who would contest this - who are consciously not foundation members for some reason, while being GNOME hackers - and there is also the technical difficulty of where you draw the line for membership rights like having a vote in elections, but I think by and large, defining the membership of the GNOME Foundation as "people involved in the GNOME project" is fine.

The gnome.org news feed and the Foundation blog are almost identical
in scope. The gnome.org feed provides 'official', generally
non-technical, news about what is happening in the GNOME project. The
Foundation blog is exactly the same, except that it is restricted to
the Foundation. There is a large class of subjects that I would like
to see on both streams, including board elections, fund raising
campaigns, new members, release announcements and initiatives such as
the GNOME Outreach Program for Women. Both the gnome.org news stream
and the Foundation blog would benefit from having a higher frequency
of posts.

It might be hard to lose the Foundation blog, but I think we'd be
stronger if we united our feeds.

Thoughts? Opinions?

I don't think the Foundation blog is being read by anything except the GNOME announcement aggregator right now, to be honest.

Occasionally people would point to foundation announcements in other blogs, so it's important to ensure old links keep working or redirect, but I'm all in favour of simplifying and consolidating foundation news sources, on condition that the result is interesting for people to read.

I'd also be happy to see notes pointing to significant news stories about GNOME written on other sources going into this news feed, by the way (as I think I've said before).

Presumably "what to do about the Journal?" and "what to do about news.gnome.org?" are separate discussions?

Cheers,
Dave.

--
Dave Neary