Re: question for candidates

2011/5/25 Andy Tai <atai atai org>:
> As Fedora is the only current GNU/Linux distribution adapting GNOME 3.0 as
> the default desktop, how would you facilitate to make GNOME technologies to
> work well (meaning minimal local patching needed) on other GNU/Linux
> distributions like Debian, and such distributions which may work on
> components competing with certain parts of GNOME, such as Ubuntu?  And how
> would you facilitate to make GNOME 3 run well on other free OS environments,
> especially the BSD based ones, like OpenBSD and FreeBSD?

I don't see this as a problem now, there are several distros out there
and patching
GNOME's upstream source to adapt it to a specific distribution will just create
disparity. Why GNOME should patch its sources to facilitate Debian and
not Mandriva or
vice-versa?

Many Ubuntu / Debian / Fedora developers are also GNOME developers and
that's the best
way to improve GNOME's integration within every single distribution
and flavour. Everyone is free
to apply its minimal distro-specific patches as long as those don't
interfere with other GNOME
components and modules.

I would throw the ball to the Release Team once again since this is
more a technical issue
than something to be discussed within the Board. (the Board do have
its role in this specific
case as well, which is approving and finding the needed economic
resources to organize events,
hackfests, release parties that could help and sponsor improving
user's experience on a specific
part of GNOME)

> And how would you facilitate collaborations with Ubuntu, especially, despite
> the different viewpoints of developers on issues like GNOME Shell vs. Unity?

Ubuntu decided to diverge from GNOME and built its own desktop environment.
While you can agree or not with this, we can just take note and move forward
improving GNOME 3 day by day, week by week and year by year to make it as much
awesome as we can. If Ubuntu will ever decide to build a GNOME flavour
of its OS (which
should happen with the next release cycle) we will be there to give
our support: people will
be able to touch with their hands how great GNOME 3 is. [1]

cheers,

Andrea

[1] http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/opensource/how-gnome-3-is-besting-ubuntu-unity/2551