Re: Candidacy: Lionel Dricot

On 23/05/11 15:28, Dodji Seketeli wrote:
Martyn Russell<martyn lanedo com>  a écrit:

On 23/05/11 12:02, Bastien Nocera wrote:
On Mon, 2011-05-23 at 09:29 +0200, Lionel Dricot wrote:
   It is not only about having a page that list the
commercial support companies. It's more about a deep collaboration
between the foundation and the companies that live from GNOME.

I personally don't think that the Foundation needs to be involved in
setting this up. Rubber-stamping this, certainly, but I don't think that
those companies that offer services need the Board to be involved to
make changes to the GNOME website.

Isn't that part of the problem? If the foundation isn't behind this,
won't it seem completely self indulgent on behalf of businesses alone?

Why would that be any different from the general scheme of a given
company doing its own marketing?

Because you're officially endorsed by the foundation and that's a 3rd party which isn't directly the corporation and has the interests of GNOME at heart, not the company. To potential clients, the difference is quite important.

Do "people" necessarily think that a
company is self indulgent when it does its own marketing?

I do. There's nothing to stop a company selling services where they have no expertise through good marketing (for example). This (IMO) hurts customers and in the ends affects the projects related.

What I personally would like to see is much more backing from the
foundation. E.g.

  - A web page
  - A banner at the next desktop summit
  - Something in the booklets given out at the next summit perhaps?
  - Some PR occasionally about how well projects are doing
  ... etc

Seriously, if these companies are really serious about this and if
economy of scale is amongst what you are looking for, why not start
something like a GNOME Business Alliance then?  That would be focused on
pushing those business related things, experiment with various
innovative communication approaches etc.  At least, that would be a
known entry point for anything business related.  And when enough
experiment and data is gathered, if merging that alliance back into the
Foundation makes sense, then so be it.

Right, that's the sort of thing I would love to see. But don't you think it makes sense to have this backed and instantiated by the foundation?

--
Regards,
Martyn