Re: Candidacy: Lionel Dricot

Martyn Russell <martyn lanedo com> a écrit:

> On 23/05/11 12:02, Bastien Nocera wrote:
>> On Mon, 2011-05-23 at 09:29 +0200, Lionel Dricot wrote:
>>>   It is not only about having a page that list the
>>> commercial support companies. It's more about a deep collaboration
>>> between the foundation and the companies that live from GNOME.
>>
>> I personally don't think that the Foundation needs to be involved in
>> setting this up. Rubber-stamping this, certainly, but I don't think that
>> those companies that offer services need the Board to be involved to
>> make changes to the GNOME website.
>
> Isn't that part of the problem? If the foundation isn't behind this,
> won't it seem completely self indulgent on behalf of businesses alone?

Why would that be any different from the general scheme of a given
company doing its own marketing?  Do "people" necessarily think that a
company is self indulgent when it does its own marketing?

> What I personally would like to see is much more backing from the
> foundation. E.g.
>
>  - A web page
>  - A banner at the next desktop summit
>  - Something in the booklets given out at the next summit perhaps?
>  - Some PR occasionally about how well projects are doing
>  ... etc

Seriously, if these companies are really serious about this and if
economy of scale is amongst what you are looking for, why not start
something like a GNOME Business Alliance then?  That would be focused on
pushing those business related things, experiment with various
innovative communication approaches etc.  At least, that would be a
known entry point for anything business related.  And when enough
experiment and data is gathered, if merging that alliance back into the
Foundation makes sense, then so be it.

--
		Dodji